We are NOT food bloggers. While we try our best, you are going to find "foodie" photography here (yet!) We just want to share awesome, healthy recipes we find with others. Please bear with us!
When I posted the photo below on Instagram last week with a caption about my love for lentils, I had so many people respond and tell me they had no idea how awesome lentils were...or even how to cook with them.
So I'm here to put an end to that. I am a #LentilLover and want to share with the world how AMAZING lentils are for you!
Lentils are a great sub for ground beef. They have a similar taste and texture and are surprisingly meaty. 1 cup of cooked lentils has 18 grams of protein, 0 grams of fat, and promotes lower cholesterol, heart health, digestive health, increased energy, stable blood sugar and weight loss. Plus, a pound of dried lentils is LESS than $2. Double plus, dried lentils expand in water. So when you buy a pound of dry lentils, you'll get 2 cups of dry lentils. When you cook them, you'll get 4 cups of lentils... it's the meal that keeps on giving, people...
On the other hand, 1 cup of beef has around the same amount of protein, 35% of daily fat intake and promotes cancer, heart disease, diabetes and arthritis. It's full of hormones, blood, toxins, fecal matter, and antibiotics. It comes from unsustainable farming practices which take advantage of poor communities, contribute to 51% of greenhouse gases, and have very loose regulations from government agencies. Plus, usually $4 or more for a pound. Double plus, at the end of the day, it's the flesh of a dead animal.
Cows are cute. Eat lentils instead.
Just because you give up beef doesn't mean you can't still enjoy tacos. In fact, these lentil tacos taste just LIKE the real thing. My favorite recipe for lentil tacos only requires TWO ingredients. These two ingredients combined are under $3.
Yes, people. Dinner for four under $3.
Here's What You Need:
- 1 cup of dried lentils
- 1 packet of taco seasoning-- or make your own! I like this ONE.
- 1 pack of whatever tortillas you like-- here, I'm using corn tortillas
- Toppings! I usually just like lettuce, but I also like salsa, corn, and hot sauce! Check out vegan sour cream and vegan cheese as well!
Here's What You Do:
- Cook 1 cup of lentils in 3-5 cups of water in a pot on the stove. This should take between 30-40 minutes on medium heat.
- When they are done, drain your lentils and place them in a large pan on the stove.
- Mix in the packet of taco seasoning and 2/3 cup of water. Mix thoroughly.
- Cook for 5 minutes until simmering.
- Optional: toast tortillas on non-stick pan on stove under medium heat. Let the pan heat up and then place the tortilla on the pan. Toast for 1 minute on each side to get warm tortillas.
- Make your tacos. Place a spoonful of lentils in the center of your tortilla, top with toppings and enjoy your Taco Tuesday (or Taco Any Day Of The Week!)